“If music be the food of love, play on.” — William Shakespeare
Remember the Delhi-based band Aryans who took the country by storm with phenomenal music? They have now changed their name to Rockstrings. But their music and band members are still the same.
Led by Yaman Shastri on guitar, Rockstrings, a band well-known for their expertise on rock and Sufi-rock music, has Sunny on drums, Ankit on bass guitar, and Utkarsh on vocal. The band promises to deliver what the iconic rock band Aryans has been delivering for the last 15 years.
In a personal interaction with Yaman, who has played at more than 200 concerts, judged some of the prestigious rock band shows, and composed for eminent Bollywood music directors, I got to know that their music is a blend of the styles, moods and textures inspired from different cultures across the globe. He also shared with me about their passion, most cherished moments, genres they love, and much more.
- How did the band come into being? Did you know each other before forming the band?
Rockstrings has wanted to create magic with music. And we believe that we are being able to do the justice of creating fine music and enthralling the audience, just the way we thought.
- You’re one of the finest rock bands in the country. What made you choose this genre?
We think the genre has got mixed up a little because of the varied taste being in demand. We feel we are at heart still in the era of rock music and we still love playing that. We have created some great compositions that, we feel, completely go hand in hand with our tag line of playing “Rock using Strings”.
- Your life has traversed the country, where do you feel you belong now? How do you identify yourself? Share with us your journey so far.
At heart, we still feel being the young kid with the guitar covering Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi. But having been a part of the industry for a while now, we were able to make a mark for ourselves. People like to be associated with us, fans like to hear us, and that’s all that we could have asked for being a musician.
- You’ve recently relaunched yourself as Rockstrings, while you were already popular as Aryans. What made you do so? Would Rockstrings’s work be different from Aryans?
We are still the same team, same kind of music is what we create, and same set of audiences we cater to. At the end, there are a lot of business related decisions that we need to take. We assure you the same music by the same team but with a different band name.
- Songs you’re most proud of?
We are proud of all the songs we have created so far and every song we present to our audiences. One can never choose among their babies; selecting the best amongst them. Therefore, this would be a difficult call for us also.
- Share with us about your early passions and influences.
Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Bon Jovi, Bryn Adams, Metallica — we follow each of them. However, this is just a random list I have shared; we drive our influence from all kinds of music we hear.
- What kind of themes your music is based on?
We think music is the best way to express love and passion therefore, most of our music we create are based on these elements.
- Share with us about your upcoming projects.
We do not talk about the upcoming projects but there is a lot coming up and audiences can expect some good stuff.
- What do you have to say about studio recording versus live performance?
Both are different ball games; we have been trying to do both and have done some really good work with eminent artists. Recording is all about accuracy and timing, whereas live performance is all about on the spot talent of the artists.
- What’s your opinion on the importance of roots, traditions, respecting originals and sources?
We think we shall never forget our roots. We have had a very humble background and we started from the scratch. It’s just the wishes of our audiences that we have achieved so far. We still have a lot of ground to cover.
- Your most cherished moments?
I think it will be difficult to point out one but whenever we are on stage and we walk out thousands of people screaming our name, we just blow them with the best we can and that’s the moment we want to live again and again.
- If you have to define the band in one sentence, what would it be?
“Rockers for a lifetime”. That’s how I always like to introduce ourselves.
- Message to your fans.
Love you all. Keep blessing and supporting us. We promise, a lot of good music coming your way.